Louis L. Kaplan Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to deserving undergraduate students at UMBC who have achieved a minimum 3.0 grade point average, have junior or senior status, have made contributions to the community, and who demonstrate financial need.
The Louis L. Kaplan Scholarship was established November 24, 1981, by the Student Government Association at UMBC in recognition of Dr. Kaplan’s contributions to UMBC during his tenure as Interim Chancellor. It was Dr. Kaplan’s wish, when the fund was first established, that students who displayed academic promise be assisted financially in order to continue their education at UMBC.
Minimum eligibility requirements:
- Must be an undergraduate junior or senior student (60 minimum credits by Fall);
- Maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA; and
- Have made valuable contributions to the UMBC community.
Demonstrate financial need (FAFSA) preferred.
Eligible candidates should submit:
- A current resume
- An unofficial UMBC transcript
- 1-3 letters of recommendation from a UMBC faculty or staff member
- A maximum 250-word written statement demonstrating significant contribution to the UMBC Campus Community
Selection of a student or students for the award will be made by the selection committee in Summer 2022. Address questions to Kim Leisey, Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, 410.455.2393 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.