Sherman STEM Teacher Scholars Program
Open for Incoming Fall 2021 Freshmen, Spring 2021 Transfer and Current UMBC Students, and Master of Arts in Teaching candidates
UMBC’s Sherman STEM Teacher Scholars Program supports and prepares high-quality teachers to teach in urban, high-needs schools. Scholars in early childhood and elementary education prepare to be experts in teaching and integrating STEM subject areas, while secondary candidates become experts in teaching a STEM discipline.
Students who will either pursue an undergraduate certificate or a Master’s degree in teaching are highly encouraged to apply and receive:
- Mentoring and Coaching from Sherman staff to provide support for teacher candidates, focusing on preparing to be teachers in urban, high-needs, and multi-cultural classrooms
- Complete a teaching internship through the UMBC Department of Education
- Gain experience working in educational settings and interacting with preK-12 students under the guidance of teacher-mentors and youth-advocates.
- A Sherman STEM Scholar scholarship and more!
- Transfer & Current UMBC Students (Spring 2021) – November 15, 2020
- Freshmen (Fall 2021) – January 15, 2021
- Transfer & Current UMBC Students (Fall 2021) – April 15, 2021
Click now to learn more about the Sherman STEM Scholars Program
Fall 2021 Freshmen: Please note if you are selected as a finalist, then you will be invited to attend the virtual Scholar Selection Day on Saturday, February 27th. During this program you will participate in an interview and have a chance to meet other finalists. Please be sure to save this date in your calendar.